Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Witching Hour: An Introduction

It's three a.m. I've been up since two. Well, technically I've been awake since six a.m. yesterday because I never went to sleep tonight. Last night. It's jet lag. And I'm all riled. My brain hops from one thing to another, and I've already made myself cry once. I always do that. Create daydreams that make me cry. Counting sheep is a futile exercise. I create dreams and, if I'm lucky, the day dream becomes a sleep dream sometime before I get maudlin. But my feet were too hot. Hot feet are the worst when you're trying to sleep.

In order to escape the agony of staring at a dark ceiling and to allow my feet some respite I have begun blogging as I always meant to do. I suppose I always meant to but never did because of a lingering distaste of those who blogged in high school. It seemed so self-involved and also horrifyingly vulnerable and open to attack by your peers or, even worse, your parents. But now I'm up at an ungodly hour and what else is there to do? (I suppose I should insert a caveat here: I live in Oklahoma. There really isn't anything to do at 3 a.m.)

So an introduction: The Youth Papers is a blog about youth today and our struggles as illustrated by my struggles. Our economy is tumultuous, our parents are the Baby Boomers, and we were spoon fed empty promises. College doesn't guarantee a job, let alone a well-paying job. Doing what you love doesn't mean you'll be successful. Finding what you love isn't as simple as it was made out. And being a responsible adult is for the birds.

Perhaps we'll find that these struggles transcend youth--but lordy, I hope not.


6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, you are going to make a great blogger. You're wonderful with words. Welcome to the blog world! (Reese and I own property here.) :)

    -A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Audra! I actually thought, immediately after I posted it, Well, if there are any typos, Audra will let me know. So I'm happy to read such a positive comment from you and hope that I live up to expectation.

      Delete
  2. Lovely first post. I agree with Audra. And you should show me how to do "replies" on blogspot like this. Pleaseandthankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a reply button underneath every comment on the blog. You just push that! (And thank you!)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I understand how to reply on THIS blog. What I mean is, as of yet I haven't figured out how to set this reply function up on a blog.

      Delete
    3. I figured it out. Just wanted to let you know. Don't mind me :) But since I'm here, I'll just leave this comment about your second post, which is that I liked it. Sorry about your shrimp!

      Delete