Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Entrepreneurial Spirit – It Takes a Charismatic


Blarg. ß This is how I feel. My brain has emitted this noise—albeit internally—ever since my brother and I began writing the business plan for a coffee house that might eventually one day be a reality. I can feel my forehead growing wrinkles. I say that because I haven’t been able, literally physically capable, of unknotting those muscles. My expression is one of perpetual perplexity. It doesn't help that I’ve misplaced my reading glasses.

Writing a business plan, starting a business, is not only scary, it’s humbling. Because you realize how dumb you are. And boy, am I dumb. I haven’t used the dictionary this much since I took geology in college. White boxing. Build out. Financial projections. Demographics. Market analysis. Triple net lease. SBA. Term sheets. It’s terrifying diving into something that is so financially threatening when you don’t know anything.

It’s as if you’re staring out across a lake and see an island you’d like to swim to. But there is no nice, easy, soft, sandy beach to ease into the water. The lake is surrounded by cliffs. Sheer drop offs. The water is full of terrors. And you don’t know how to swim.

Dotting the cliff tops are tents. The labyrinthine tent hands out free lifejackets, but you find they have heavy weights attached. The colorfully striped “professional” tents give expensive verbal and written lessons on how to swim, but no practical swimming lessons in water are to be had anywhere. And in the other tents—some grand and impressive, some less so, and some lean and drab—you find swimmers, folk who have taken the plunge and survived to tell the tale. These experienced swimmers will sometimes share tips they learned from their experiences, but some do not. Some are more helpful than others. And some speak so much jargon you can’t glean a single inkling from the conversation.

Since the dive and swim are so perilous, you feel you need as many lessons and as much equipment and as much information as these tents have to give you. But you only have so much money. The advice can only go so far. And to frustrate you even further, the counsel you receive is contradictory and vague. There isn’t an end to the tents. You’ll never feel fully prepared to dive in, and you’ll never run out of tents to visit.

To conclude, right now I feel overwhelmed, stupid, and utterly out of my depth. And repetitive. I feel rather redundant as well. There’s so much I don’t know, and there’s so much information to be had, learned, assimilated, and forgotten.

Tomorrow is the Fourth of July, and for some part of it I will be revising the front page of our business plan to focus on concept so that we can move forward in our bid for a sweet location for the coffee house. A not-for-profit association bought the building we hope to lease from them. So board approval is involved. By the time we get an interview with the big britches, we’ll have talked to bankers and have a firmer idea of how we’re going to fund this song and dance. That’s when we’ll have a proposal that focuses on finances. (Oh here’s a laugh. When I asked our accountant when we should get the loan, before or after signing the lease, which order do they go in? He answered, well ideally simultaneously. I had no response except to knit my brow together.)


6 comments:

  1. I am so impressed that you're working on starting a business. This is nowhere near an aspiration of mine, but I say, Go for it! Right on! Besides, the fact that it's not an aspiration of mine is not an indication of anything except that I only aspire to middle-class mediocrity.

    It sounds like you've already learned quite a bit, and I'm so proud of you. Good luck in your continued journey, and I can't wait to hear more!

    -A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I don't know how long I'm going to last on here with your word verification. It's extremely difficult. You know that spam isn't THAT common, don't you? If you MUST have verification, probably just the one would suffice; you don't need double... Just a suggestion from a frustrated non-robot user who finds them very difficult to read. :)

      Delete
    2. I had no idea it was on. How do I get it off?

      Delete
    3. Hahaha. I don't know. In your settings somewhere. Ask Reese, I complained to her about this same thing once. I'm a WordPress user, I can't help you Blogger minions. :)

      Delete
  2. If anyone can do it, you can. I'm at your disposal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. Because I have it in my head to do some upholstering with coffee sacks. :) And we'll need some free baristas, of course.

      Delete