Sunday, September 16, 2012

Did the laptop jump, or was it pushed?


After quitting my full-time job, I lost a lot of my angst. I think it is in no little way correlated to the fact that I’ve spent less time in the presence of one J-Bare, who can wax philosophical and theoretical and analytical and psychological on any subject. I’ve gotten out of the habit of analyzing. This is bad because, as I’m about to show, I need to regularly analyze not only my external world (which I positively cannot stop doing) but also my internal world (which I negatively ignore 99% of the time). It isn’t that my angst is gone, necessarily, but that I’ve stopped maintenance on my internal state, assuming that now that I’m in a better place, I’m hunky-dory emotionally too.

The past few months have been wonderful in so many ways: going on a trip around the world, getting to see my little brother for the first time in a year, quitting a job with too much work and too little reward, working for myself, and having the freedom and time to explore my options for the future. And those wonderful things are what I’ve been focusing on. I don’t think many people would describe me as an optimist because I’m not smiley sunshiney positive Sandra Dee all the time…or ever. My default mode, though, is to look for possibilities and opportunities. To see what can be. That’s the definition of optimism.

This past week, “what is” crashed in on my “what can be.”* Several things happened in a seventy-two-hour period. 1) I paid my credit card bill, and without giving away too much personal information, my bank account isn’t at a level I feel comfortable with. 2) The coffee shop seems to be stalling and my brother/part owner keeps changing things on me. 3) Jasper, my big, lovable, old man dog, had a seizure. 4) I got next month’s credit card bill, and there isn’t going to be a bank account left after I pay it. 5) My computer committed suicide.

*Dear editors who are reading this: I apologize for the scare quotes, but I felt the sentence was unclear without them. I swear that it was an agonizing decision on whether to include them or not, and I did not add them in cavalierly.

The morning of the laptop crash I woke up early (for me that means before 9 a.m.) to finish a manuscript. I’d been working on it too long in small increments while also doing research on the publishing industry and query letters and working on the coffee shop (of course!). I was determined to finish by noon because my brother had promised that we were going to work on our business plan that afternoon. Since I’d recently paid my credit card bill I was keen to a) get paid for the manuscript and b) get the coffee shop up and running as quickly as possible so I would have a steady income.

Grant was supposed to be doing yard work while I was working on editing—both of us securing our temporary incomes in the morning so we could invest in our future incomes that afternoon. Just before noon, my brother walked into my apartment with his miniature dachshund and informed me that a lawn crew was about to show up, so he would be working outside after they left.

This made me angry. Why hadn’t he been outside working this entire time? We could have been working on our business plan while the lawn crew worked. But since I was crawling through what should have been a fast manuscript and wouldn’t be done for the next couple hours, I decided I couldn’t really talk. So I returned to my editing, more determined than ever to finish it and get one thing off my plate since it looked like I would be the only one working on the business plan that afternoon.

Shortly thereafter, several things happened all at once. I paused in my editing to save my manuscript, as anyone who regularly works with documents habitually does. The lawn crew showed up. All three hound dogs let loose barking and baying at the top of their lungs.
The software froze, as it had been doing occasionally.
Barking.
I told the dogs to stop barking.
Barking.
My mouse and keyboard shorted out.
Barking.
I told the dogs to stop barking.
Barking.
The computer was five years old.
Barking.
I told the dogs to stop barking.
Barking.

I lashed out at the closest body to me hard enough to elicit a yelp from Jasper, who cowered at my feet. “Shut. Up.” Ceasar Milan doesn’t have anything on me. When I have energy, my dogs feel it. And I was radiating red. Jasper curled up on the couch. Buckley hid underneath the bed. And that stinking dachshund with her annoying yip ran to the kennel (a place she usually eschews).

If this was a momentary flare of frustration or stress or anger, it should have faded just as quickly, and I should have felt immediate regret for hurting Big Boy. I didn’t. I had left rational, optimistic, analytical Buttercup. I’d stepped out of my brain and fully into the locus of emotions. In this instance, I don’t think the locus was my heart.

When I was younger and I got angry at my parents or my brothers, I would throw my shoes and Barbies at the window in my bedroom. It was a large target and covered by wooden blinds that made this beautiful, satisfying cacophony when hit. The physical action coupled with the resulting racket expressed my frustration and soothed my ruffled emotions. I suppose that influences me still today.

When, only seconds after sending my dogs into hiding, my laptop continued to flicker at me unresponsively, I pounded the keyboard with my hands. Of course, nothing happened. It wasn’t worse or better—and neither was I. The image that had been circling my head since the beginning of this episode swam dizzyingly clear in my mind’s eye. The satisfying crash. The comfort of exacting revenge on the cause of my anger and frustration. Expressing my negative energy in more than just words.

I decided, consciously decided, to take my open laptop and spike it into the ground.

It made a jittery plastic thud on the carpet. The screen swung forward and then back, revealing the spidery effect violence has on sensitive technology and the now 96% dark screen. The casing skewed slightly apart so that the laptop had a pitiful hangdog appearance. What a hick laptop would look like if Disney decided to make the computer version of cars with fancy Apples and the more varied PCs populating the movie as characters.

It was satisfying for all of thirty seconds. And then I was even angrier with myself. This is what happens when I don’t keep tabs on what’s going on internally. I break things. So now I’ve got the laptop on life support, hooked up to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

What have I learned from this other than emotionally I am still a five-year-old? Optimism is all well and good, but you have to check it with your present reality and adjust possibilities accordingly. And, most importantly in my present circumstances, not mentioning external concerns as they occur can build into an internal problem.

This is not usually any issue with me, but I have the hardest time broaching certain subjects with family members. Because then it is always personal, and I only really have seniority on my little brother, and he’s in India. So I’m low man on the totem pole.

I’ve got some serious conversations coming in the near futures with family members, and I need to make some decisions. Do I continue to help my brother with his dream, which I dearly want to see him achieve because I think he’d be great at it? He could seriously be the OKC Monopoly man. Or do I start building my future, volunteering with different populations to give counseling to see whether or not I want to be a clinical psychologist or an industrial/organizational psychologist?

Whatever happens, I’ll continue writing. Share with me what emotional outbursts you’ve had in the not so distant past. Did you, too, feel like you shouldn’t be acting that way now that you’re an adult? What caused the outburst or what did you learn from it? How do you keep tabs on your emotional health? (I’m asking because despite my resolve to do better, I’ve always been woefully inept at understanding my own emotions.)

P.S. Jasper is fine. After initially ignoring a proffered snack as a bribe (a first in Big Boy’s six years), he climbed into my lap and got a full-body doggy massage followed by some chicken broth. I swear I do not usually hit or yell at my dogs. They’re spoiled rotten.

8 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I got a small sense of satisfaction hearing of you spiking your laptop. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to do that to the Acer on loan from our former employer. I don't often indulge in outbursts, but when I do, I think it comes out in the form of rolling my eyes, huffing loudly, stomping around the house, and generally being impatient. This usually leads to full meltdown mode where I just have to cry it out. I sound like a moody teenager! This is embarrassing, but if I'm alone, sometimes I let out a shriek of impatience/anger/whatever...and then laugh at how ridiculous I'm being. I'm sure my neighbors love this.
    What I've learned, especially with family: It's important to be honest, but just as important to do it kindly. Don't let things build up till you have no control over how it comes out. (Learned this the hard way.) Pray about how you interact with family. This is probably obvious, but I didn't used to do this and see a real difference in the level of love and patience I experience when I'd normally be at my breaking point. Oh, and I really believe in setting boundaries. I can tell you more about that if you're interested.
    How do I keep tabs on my emotions? Hmm. Well, sometimes it helps to acknowledge how I'm feeling. Imagine me sitting at home, talking to myself like a total weirdo, saying, "You're just sad/lonely/frustrated/angry/scared/etc. That's nothing new. You're not the first person to feel this way, and you're not the last. It's okay. It won't always be this way." I don't know why, but somehow it helps to give myself permission to feel what I'm feeling, realizing that it's an emotion, not the end of the world/my happiness/my reason for living. ;) And sometimes I just say, "You're having a freakout. Take a breath, and pull yourself together." If I'm in a funk and can't figure out why, I find working out helps. Physical exertion brings clarity, whereas sitting on the couch having a general sense of dissatisfaction brings depression. Lastly, I keep tabs on my emotions through my dreams. If I'm upset about something, it shows up in my dreams, only magnified. That's when I know I really need to deal with an issue to avoid things getting broken, dogs getting beaten, etc. ;) I'm glad Jasper is okay, you were at least able to salvage the information from your computer, and that you had a fun weekend away to recover from the stress. It'll get better. I promise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! I'm glad someone else has outbursts too. I talk to myself a lot too, but it's usually me acting as characters in a story I'm writing/thinking about writing. Which version of talking to yourself is crazier? Probably mine.

      I definitely need to exercise more. Sitting on my duff day in and day out working on the computer or crafting is not healthy. And with the weather turning into fall, I really don't have an excuse! Maybe some yoga to help with the g-dang stress!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! Okay, miss, you acted like your laptop just fell over. Now I find out you chucked it at the floor?! I would think you're completely insane, but Jordan told me the other day that when he gets really mad, he eyes my laptop because "it would have such a satisfying splinter effect" if he threw it to the floor. So, apparently Jordan can commiserate with you. You two should talk. On another note, I'm sorry you're having a rough time of it. You SHALL PASS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's put it this way, the laptop was at the precipice looking down, about to jump, and I...tapped it a little. I would be offended at you thinking I'm insane, except when I wrote and then reread this, I thought "I'm insane." Also, this isn't the first time I've thought you might have married me in male form (i.e. Jordan). Except I'm not ashamed to be with you in public. ;)

      Delete
  3. We all have those days, my friend. Emily gives some good advice up there.

    The only way I've found that consistently works for working out my emotions is to write. Sometimes, when I just can't bring myself to do that, running can be a good substitute, especially if I need a good cry. I hate running, so it makes sense to do it when I'm feeling emotionally strained because then the physical strain and the emotional strain can just come together and explode. Though it can be difficult to motivate myself to get off my ass and get out the door, I've never regretted doing it.

    Lately I've had trouble with appropriate emotional expression because it's difficult to cry as loud as I want to when someone else is living in my house. I don't want to have a conversation about it, after all. I just want to cry it out. But that isn't always easily understood. So when that's the case, I usually head to a cemetery. Nobody looks at you weird for crying in a cemetery!

    As for the scare quote issue... This could have been simply avoided by putting the phrases in italics. For future reference. :)

    Oh - I also want to know more about Jasper's seizure! What happened? How did you handle it? :( :( :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing doesn't help me work out emotions. In fact, my writing is simply awful when I'm emotional. And that just leads to more upsettedness. I'm going to take up running, I think. Try a couch to 5k program. I'm with you, though...I hate running.

      Ugh. Living with other people is the worst when you're emotional. For me, it's because I want to do things like throw shoes at windows and yell, which would lead to a padded cell. I don't think that behavior would be any more acceptable in a cemetery. I'm jealous of your cemeteries though. I bet the fall foliage is starting to show! It'd be hard to feel sad with nature looking so fine and the weather feeling so good.

      I'm both glad and sad I'm not a crier. A good cry would be so cleansing sometimes, I imagine. But I just am not a crier. Things have to be pretty tumultuous for me to get going, and even then it's only a one-minute sob at most and then it passes. I'm left with a migraine and a runny nose and usually feel worse. But at least I don't cry in public at inopportune moments or feel weepy.

      Jasper's good. He milked it for several days. Got to sleep in bed with me and get lots of treats and bones. He's had seizures before, but it'd been over a year. We'd thought they were gone for good. Luckily they aren't severe, though they look it. He obviously gets very upset and scared, and Buckley goes bananas when he's having one. But he doesn't void his bowels or vomit, which is common in seizures. So I'm not complaining.

      Delete
    2. Good luck with the running endeavor! I wish you well and much success! You can totally do it.

      The fall foliage is NOT starting to show, given the dry-ass summer we had. But things are finally looking green rather than brown now! So I hope fall colors will be on their way in the next couple of weeks!

      I did not know you were not a crier. This is interesting (and yet not entirely surprising) news. Luckily, my crying faculties are mostly under control, and I don't do it at inopportune times either (for the MOST part).

      Aww, poor Jaspy! I had no idea he had a history of seizures. Gosh, I hope Soren doesn't get those. He's got enough medical problems as it is.

      Delete
    3. Thanks. Take pictures when Fall rolls out her colors and send them to me! That's good because for people like me comforting criers is awkward. We mean well. And I hope Soren doesn't either. Poor old guy. :(

      Delete